What is a doula?
A birth doula is a trained professional that provides emotional, physical and informational support before, during and after childbirth (check out this great article from Evidence Based Birth). It is an honor and a privilege to work with mothers and families at such a transformative time. Each mother and baby are different and I strive to support and empower each family to make the choices that work best for them.
According to a recent study published in the Cochrane Review, people who have a doula during childbirth experience:
- A 39% decrease in risk of cesarean.
- A 15% increase in the likelihood of a spontaneous vaginal birth.
- A 10% decrease in the use of any medication for pain relief.
- A 38% decrease in baby’s risk of a low 5 minute APGAR score.
- A 31% decrease in the risk of being dissatisfied with the birth experience.
My Birth Doula Services Include:
- A complimentary interview with you and your partner to see if we would be a good fit.
- Two prenatal visits.
- Two to three (or more, if needed) postpartum visits.
- Phone / text / email support throughout your pregnancy and early postpartum period.
- Continuous support during your labor and immediate postpartum period (I will come when you want me to come and stay 1-2 hours following your birth).
- On call 24-hours a day from 38 weeks gestation until your baby’s birth.
- Access to my collection of pregnancy-related books and DVD’s.
Prenatal visits allow us to get to know one another and talk about your birth. I can help you with a birth plan and discuss any questions you have about your pregnancy, birth and postpartum period.
Postpartum visits are a time to remember your birth and make sure everyone is thriving in the first few weeks with baby. I can assist with breastfeeding, infant care and provide community resources for any help that is needed.